BS EN 61439-1
Low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies. General Rules
Publication Date: 30 November 2011
Replaces: BS EN 61439-1:2009
BS EN 61439-1 provides definitions, service conditions, construction requirements, technical characteristics and verification requirements for low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies.
All general requirements from the various assemblies standards have been gathered in this basic standard together with specific subjects of wide interest and application, e.g. temperature rise, dielectric properties, etc.
BS EN 61439-1 applies to low-voltage switchgear and controlgear assemblies only when required by a relevant assembly standard. It applies to:
- Assemblies for which the rated voltage does not exceed 1 000 V in case of a.c. or 1 500 V in case of d.c.
- Stationary or movable assemblies with or without enclosure
- Assemblies intended for use in connection with the generation, transmission, distribution and conversion of electric energy, and for the control of electric energy consuming equipment
- Assemblies designed for use under special service conditions, for example in ships, in rail vehicles, for equipment in explosive atmospheres, and for domestic applications (operated by unskilled persons), provided that the relevant specific requirements are complied with
- Assemblies designed for electrical equipment of machines. Supplementary requirements for assemblies forming part of a machine are covered by the BS EN 60204 series
BS EN 61439-1 applies to all assemblies whether they are designed, manufactured and verified on a one-off basis, or fully standardised and manufactured in quantity.
BS EN 61439-1 cannot be used alone to specify an assembly or used for determining conformity.
BS EN 61439-1 does not apply to individual devices and self-contained components, such as motor starters, fuse switches, electronic equipment, etc. which will comply with the relevant product standards.
GAMBICA Guide to BS EN 61439-1:2011 and BS EN 61439-2:2011
Buy your copy here