BS EN 60079-1: 2014 Explosive atmospheres. Equipment protection by flameproof enclosures "d"
- Published: Friday, 08 October 2010 17:03
BS EN 60079-1
Explosive atmospheres. Equipment protection by flameproof enclosures "d"
Publication Date: 31 August 2007
Replaces: BS EN 60079-1:2004
Part 1 of BS EN 60079 contains specific requirements for the construction and testing of electrical equipment with the type of protection flameproof enclosure “d”, intended for use in explosive gas atmospheres.
BS EN 60079-1 supplements and modifies the general requirements of IEC 60079-0.
Flameproof has to be foolproof.
Working in an explosive atmosphere, electrical equipment must meet the highest standards of safety. You'll find those in the newly revised BS EN 60079-1, which sets out requirements for constructing and testing electrical equipment with flameproof enclosures for use in explosive gas atmospheres.
Along with many changes to improve clarity, there are major technical revisions in this edition, covering:
• Supplemental mechanical means of securing a cemented joint
• The use of copper or copper alloys in explosive gas atmospheres containing acetylene
• Power factor requirement for evaluating the ability of a plug and socket to remain flameproof
• Addition of marking requirements for Ex component enclosures
• Removal of Type T cells as acceptable primary cells
Edition 7 of BS EN 60079-1 will be vital for health & safety officers; directors; decision makers in quality and safety control; operation managers; and anyone who plays a role in inspecting or maintaining electrical installations that might be used in an explosive atmosphere.
You may also be interested in the new edition of BS EN 60079-2, Explosive atmospheres - Part 2: Equipment protection by pressurized enclosure "p".