When carried out correctly, the replacement of UPS batteries is a safe and effective procedure. There are, however, significant risks associated with UPS battery replacement of which it is important to be aware:
1. The load may cease to be protected by the UPS. Faulty cabling can cause an inverter/rectifier breakdown, therefore switching into the auxiliary (bypass) supply, and leaving the load unprotected by the UPS.
2. The probability of a fault can be increased through electrolyte leakage associated with the incorrect handling of battery blocks.
3. Serious injury to personnel can occur where there is spillage of electrolyte in the areas surrounding the UPS and battery installation. Furthermore, not using the correct PPE can also result in serious injury to the on-site operator.
4. There is a risk of thermal runaway, fire or explosion if the battery charger calibration is inaccurate.
5. Prosecution: not disposing of batteries according to strict guidelines may result in legal proceedings being brought against the offending party by local or central government, which in turn may lead to heavy financial penalties or possible imprisonment.
Specialists in the integration of batteries within UPS equipment and battery replacement safety procedures, our team of industry experts have a superior understanding of the way that batteries work within the total system.
Our engineers take a comprehensive view of the system and its environment, including the variables of each specific operating site, which means your system is optimized for your needs.
• Replacement can be carried out in parallel with preventative maintenance visits and the replacement of other consumable parts such as capacitors and fans.
• Battery charger settings will be checked and recalibrated if required.
• Fully secure battery discharge test controlled directly by UPS firmware.
• Battery Disposal according to local law (certification ISO 14001).
• Analysis of the reliability of mainstream battery protection.
• Advice in optimization of the battery back-up time (BUT) depending upon the current load and environmental conditions on site.
During a Socomec battery replacement we will carry out:
Autonomy test with effective load ✔
Voltage check on battery blocks, if accessible ✔
Battery room temperature check ✔
Floating voltage compensation according to ambient temperature ✔
Tags: Socomec, Services News, Company News, panel builder news, e-lec.org