BS EN IEC 60947-4-1:2019 Electromechanical Contactors And Motor-starters Issued
- Published: Monday, 29 April 2019 13:16
BS EN IEC 60947-4-1:2019
Low-voltage switchgear and controlgear.
Contactors and motor-starters.
Electromechanical contactors and motor-starters
Publication Date: 29 March 2019
What is this standard about?
This part of IEC 60947 is applicable to the following equipment:
– electromechanical contactors and starters including motor protective switching device (MPSD);
– actuators of contactor relays;
– contacts dedicated exclusively to the coil circuit of this contactor or this contactor relay;
– dedicated accessories (e.g. dedicated wiring, dedicated latch accessory);
intended to be connected to distribution circuits, motors circuits and other load circuits, the rated voltage of which does not exceed 1 000 V AC or 1 500 V DC.
This document covers also the assessment procedure for electromechanical overload protection used in safety applications such as protecting a motor located in explosive atmosphere from the outside atmosphere.
This document does not apply to:
starters for DC motors;
auxiliary contacts of contactors and contacts of contactor relays. These are covered by IEC 60947-5-1;
starter used downstream to frequency drive;
short-circuit protective device integrated within starters other than MPSDs. This is covered by IEC 60947-2 and IEC 60947-3;
the use of the product with additional measure within explosive atmospheres. These are given in IEC 60079 series;
embedded software design rules;
cyber security aspects. These are covered by IEC 62443 series.
The objective of this document is to state:
a) the characteristics of the equipment;
b) the conditions applicable to the equipment with reference to:
- its operation and behaviour,
- its dielectric properties,
- its degree of protection,
- its construction including safety measures against electric shock, fire hazard and mechanical hazard;
c) the tests intended for confirming that these conditions have been met, and the methods to be adopted for these tests;
d) the information to be given with the equipment or in the manufacturer's literature.