New Models Of E2E NEXT Series Proximity Sensors
- Published: Tuesday, 25 June 2019 12:25
Omron have released a total of 2,512 models of our DC 3-Wire E2E NEXT Series Proximity Sensors, which boast the world's longest sensing distances*1, newly equipped with IoT features.
These sensors reduce risks of sudden facility stoppages down to a third*2 . They also detect warming signs of such stoppages and notify users via the network. They help improve facility operation rates by preventing unforeseen facility stoppages and reducing facility downtime.
At manufacturing sites, unforeseen facility stoppages are a major management issue, directly linked to lost production opportunities. To minimize downtime, manufacturers must procure on-site maintenance personnel to address unforeseen failures. Manufacturers are looking for ways to utilize smart devices and IoT to maintain and improve facility operation rates without relying on human experience or skills.
Current proximity sensors characteristically have short sensing distances, and this comes with certain risks. For example, equipment vibration may cause the sensor body to move too far away from or come in contact with the sensing object. Such incidents are said to account for approximately 20% of facility stoppages.*3
The E2E NEXT Series Proximity Sensors (DC 3-Wire Models) are equipped with OMRON's own Thermal Distance Control 2 and PROX3 hybrid circuitry technologies, which enable sensing distances that are at least twice as long as in previous models,*4 and reduce risks of such facility stoppages by a factor of 3. Distances between sensor bodies and sensing objects are constantly monitored, and users are notified via IO-Link communication*5 if they become too great or too small. This allows users to identify warning signs of sudden facility stoppages, which in turn allows for timely maintenance, all in all enabling stable facility operation without having to rely on the experience or skills of maintenance personnel.
OMRON set forth a concept called "innovative-Automation" consisting of three innovations or "i's"--"integrated" (control evolution), "intelligent" (development of intelligence by ICT), and "interactive" (new harmonization between humans and machines). OMRON's endeavor is to dramatically improve the productivity and quality on the ground in the manufacturing sites. To this end, OMRON will continue to expand its lineup of IoT-enabled control devices, and, with the help of its clients, expedite the "intelligent" element (i.e. making manufacturing smarter) in manufacturing sites, which is key to delivering on the "innovative-Automation" concept.
Key highlights of the E2E NEXT Series Proximity Sensors (DC 3-Wire Models):
- World's longest sensing distances,*1 at least twice that of OMRON's previous products*4. This allows for more spacious design with less risk of contact.
- Technologies for stable long-distance detection: Thermal Distance Control 2 and PROX3 hybrid circuitry. This enables stable long-distance sensing capabilities by measuring with high precision each sensor's characteristics under multiple temperature conditions, and calculating correction values using OMRON's own polynomial algorithm, which are then written into the sensor's PROX3 hybrid circuitry.
- Equipped with IO-Link*6 as a standard. This allows users to know in real time, from a single location, the state of multiple sensors, which in turn enables early identification of the site and substance of failures.
- Broad model lineup. OMRON offers a lineup of 2,512 models that come in a variety of physical sizes and with different sensing distances to cater to different needs.
*1 Based on December 2018 OMRON investigation of DC 3-wire models.*2 Based on December 2018 OMRON investigation.*3 Based on December 2018 OMRON investigation into causes of facility stoppages in automobile parts factories.*4 Comparison between previous products (2-wire models) and E2E NEXT 3-wire model series.*5 Standardized technology for communicating with sensors and actuators, prescribed by the international standard IEC 61131-9.*6 Only PNP E2E NEXT 3-wire model series equipped with IO-Link; 2-wired series are not equipped with IO-Link.